Cherry Sorbet with Chocolate Magic Shell
by Lisa Valmorbida & Harry Nissen
Lisa Valmorbida is the owner of Pidapipó (@pidapipo_gelateria) and author of "Pidapipo: Gelato Eight Days a Week". Her commitment to using only the highest-quality ingredients and her relentless pursuit of excellence has earned her a following among gelato fans.
For the sorbet
600 g cherries, de-pitted
185 g filtered water
5g carob bean powder
210 g caster (superfine) sugar if needed
For the chocolate shell
100g coconut oil
225g Ghana 70% Chocolate
a pinch of salt
1. Put the cherries pieces and water in a bowl and blend with a hand-held blender until smooth.
2. Put the carob bean powder in a separate bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and mix together well.
3. Gradually add the carob powder and sugar mixture to the plum mixture, blending all the while, until well combined. Add the rest of the sugar and blend to incorporate, then transfer to a suitable lidded container and leave to cool in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until the mixture drops to 4°C (39°F).
4. Turn on your gelato maker, so it begins the freezing process.
5. Pour the mixture into your gelato maker. Once the mixture reaches -4°C (25°F) (this should take about 30-60 minutes) detach the canister or scoop the gelato into a pre-cooled lidded container. Transfer to the freezer and leave for at least 1 hour to harden before serving.
For the Chocolate Shell
1. Place the chocolate, coconut oil and salt in a microwave-safe bowl and melt until fully liquid.
2. Once the chocolate and coconut oil has melted, pour the mixture over the sorbet. The mixture will set hard within a minute.
3. Store the mixture in a closed container in either the refrigerator or a cupboard.
4. If stored in the refrigerator, re-heat the mixture in the microwave before using, as it will have hardened again.